Friday, June 17, 2011

HD Ring for Jeff


Here's where it starts, with a rough piece of wax.


I drew the shape on and sawed off the excess.
Using various files and wax burs I shaped the flame.
I smoothed it out and hollowed the back out to reduce the weight.
I added the band using my wax pen to melt the pieces together.
I decided to use the green wax for the band because it holds sharper detail.











Lots of Process shots today! The first thing off the top of my head since I just finished editing the photos this very moment - right after I finished making the ring itself. I completely guessed the size so hopefully this will end up fitting my brother on his birthday tomorrow. As you can see from the photos, I started out making the fireball as a separate piece before eventually adding it to a ring shank that I created. I was going to keep the fireball fairly simplistic, however after starting to carve it out I added a few more flares, for a more layered look. Once I attached the the ring I had to redraw the logo on three or four times until I liked the placement of it. After I casted it and polished it up a bit I decided to add a patina to it to make it look a bit more bad-ass, somehow it didn't look as good at a simple high polish. All in all, I'm glad I challenged myself with the logo on the band. I could probably spend several more hours perfecting it, but I am pleased with how it turned out. I hope my brother likes his new ring!

4 comments:

  1. I tried a couple times to put the photos in their proper order, but that's not happening today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the process photos! And I totally know what you mean about putting photos in order, it takes a long time in this programme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazah! I just realized my settings were prohibiting my photo adjustments, just had to change it to the newest editing thingamabob. And now there are captions, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VaporFi is the highest quality electronic cigarettes supplier on the market.

    ReplyDelete